Technical Solutions Engineer
PDQ.com is a recent recipient of the Utah Business award for being one of “Utah's Best Places to Work.” Here at PDQ.com, we own ownership, we embrace collaboration and tear down silos, we are honest even when it's embarrassing, and we are always learning and improving.
We have two amazing desktop applications: PDQ Deploy and PDQ Inventory. These applications are used by over 100,000 systems administrators worldwide. We've got a pretty loyal fan base. They love our software, and we want you to help them love our software even more!
We’re looking to hire a Technical Solutions Engineer with experience as a Microsoft Windows system administrator who has PDQ Deploy and PDQ Inventory experience. Our Technical Solutions Engineers support other Microsoft Windows system administrators. Support includes everything from questions about product usage to advanced diagnoses of Windows, networking, and system issues. We don’t provide phone or remote support, so exceptionally well-written communication in the English language is essential.
You’ll also need to have experience building packages in PDQ Deploy, building collections for PDQ Inventory, and the skills to assist in the day-to-day running of PDQ.com’s internal IT.
About the team you will be joining:
The Solutions Team at PDQ.com is a cross-functional team that handles three critical areas:
- Customer Support for our products
- Packaging for the PDQ Deploy Package Library
- Internal IT for PDQ.com
What your day might look like:
- Use common administrative tools to diagnose customer technical issues.
- Research software problems and identify solutions.
- Escalate unresolved issues to Automation (QA) and Development, administer beatings when necessary, and work with those groups to find solutions to customer issues.
- Evaluate and participate in the selection of new product features.
- Work with the team to resolve complex IT issues and recommend elegant solutions to IT hurdles and initiatives.
- Assist IT with various tasks, as needed.
- Create, test, and troubleshoot deployment packages and collections.
- Prioritize and manage several tasks. While multitasking is a myth, task management is not.
- Optionally: craft blog articles, participate in webcasts/videos, and write documentation.
- Learn a lot, all the time.
- Demonstrable experience using PDQ Deploy and PDQ Inventory extensively in a production environment.
- A logical approach to problem-solving customer issues, including gathering all necessary and potentially relevant information up-front (important with email-only support).
- Proven experience with Microsoft Windows desktop (Windows 7 - 10) and Microsoft Windows Server (2008R2 - 2016) OSes.
- Ability to participate and thrive in strong, mutually-cooperative teams.
- Good understanding of Windows networking (DNS, NetBT, DHCP, SMB, Windows Firewall, etc.).
- Substantial understanding of Active Directory, including multi-domain environments (GPOs, users/groups, LAPS, OUs/containers, and trust relationships).
- Sound understanding of software deployment methodology such as silent installations, registry modification, MSI, transforms, etc.
- Demonstrable scripting experience in your favorite scripting language (e.g. PowerShell, Bash, batch file, Python).
- An understanding of Office 365 administration, Azure, and managing remote workers (VPN) as it relates to internal IT.
- A working knowledge of VMware ESXi, vCenter, networking (Cisco, Fiber Channel, iSCSI), and OS imaging is preferred.
- Finally, it wouldn’t feel like a job description without the obligatory, “Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.”
If PDQ.com sounds like a place where you’d like to work, then we welcome you to apply for this exceptional and infrequent opportunity to become part of our exclusive team of rock stars!
Location: Salt Lake City, UT (relocation option may be available)
Job Type: Full-time